Wednesday, April 7, 2010

I Reach For The Stars

I guess I've been successful to a degree in my adaptation to minimalism, considering I only have one entry in this blog!

Organica is the name I've chosen for my experiment of all things fresh and new. It's a play on the words "America" and "organic", in hopes of merging the two together. I'd like to transform my otherwise typical "American" mindset to that of a raw, fresh and more simple thought-process, thereby making it more "organic", I suppose you could say. Through this reformation, perhaps I'll encourage you to minimize and think more organically yourself.

Minimal

  • Application: While I have much, much to learn about living more simply, I can quite enthusiastically report that I am doing much better than I once did. Purging does feel quite right, and thus far, Husband and I have emptied closet (wish I could pluralize that word!), desk, and file folder container-thing. I can't say that I have ever been the most organized individual, but I could probably tell you all there is to know about the subject; as mentioned before, I devour self-help manuals like they are water to the soul.

  • Donations: Because of our insistence to completely remove anything and everything that goes unused or is not used enough (sadly, I am trying to put this into effect with sad.orange.couch., to which I am indebted oh-so-much for loving us so), we have picked out a quite noble thrift shop in order to bestow all our lovely (and not-so-cherished) items that can be resold and loved properly by treasurers that we could not be. The thrift store is of Assemblies of God, and has a sign screwed into the wall inside a quaint dressing room stating, "You do not steal from us, you steal from GOD," or something to that effect.

    I loved it. It was so direct. It was so in-your-face-you-can't-hurt-us-because-God-is-our-strength-we-don't-have-to-judge-because-God-will-at-the-end-of-the-day great. (I gave them a ten dollar donation as well.)

  • Difficulties: Yes, I've had difficulties. The couch, as stated above, but also, what about those two pictures that aren't hanging on the wall but are in the family room floor? What about my two bathroom drawers filled with things I just know I'll never use, but.I.might.someday that clutches my heart? What about how I know I want a bike, but I really shouldn't purchase it right now? And what the heck am I going to bring and not bring to Texas? (These are all random thoughts, which of course make them difficult!)

  • Organizing: I will say that the "mental" aspect of minimalism (i.e., "decluttering") has been the most fruitful part of this journey. It's true, the house isn't immaculate and I don't have tons of goals achieved, but I feel like I'm finally beginning to understand concepts that have taken me all of my life to understand. While it's common knowledge to pursue things that you enjoy, or even, pursue those things that which you feel make you more purposeful, I can't say that I've ever truly done those things. Maybe you can say that I'm the jack of many trades but the master of none. That's primarily because I'm like a fish, floundering about instead of streamlining to an actual destination.

    With that being said, I've simplified a list of true goals that I can say for a matter of fact I've wanted to achieve since I was 12 years old. Every one of these things. Though I feel reticent to share them (for fear of losing momentum), I won't completely withhold them:

  • I've always wanted to be a runner. I don't know why, but it's always been a desire, so I'm "running" for it (pardon the pun).
  • I'm a singer,
  • a writer, and
  • I love playing the guitar. Even if I've put my guitar down for years, I'm picking it back up (it's like riding a bike, you know), and playing as much as possible now.

  • These are just the beginning. What about you? Are there things in your life that you can minimize while reaching for your hidden talents?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment